Saturday, June 29, 2013

Posted by Unknown on 5:41 PM No comments
Some of my fondest moments as a child were in the kitchen, my mother was a single mother who always was working at least two jobs to provide for us (thank you mom!) so on most nights the only real times I got to spend with her was the hour  or so she stopped home to cook dinner. I will always remember the vast array of smells and being amazed at how well she could cook  but mostly I remember sitting at the table and talking to her as she prepared our dinner.  It was also a family tradition to gather at our grandparents house every Sunday, every once and awhile I would be lucky enough to sleep at grandma’s house the night before which traditionally meant staying up late watching tv and eating things my mother would never allow ( got to love grandparents), but the most memorable times of those sleepovers were prepping the food for the next days festivities, this usually consisted of  homemade pizza or  lasagna, but again the time spent together talking about current events, family gossip or just silly  joke telling is what made it so special. As I grew older I came to realize more and more just how big of an impact cooking had on my life not just giving me an appreciation for cooking but also an appreciation for using food as a bonding tool. When my daughter was born, I immediately decided that cooking would be part of our relationship and would be used as a learning tool.
 Obviously when you are dealing with children of any age safety is first, in my case I always have  my daughter help with the prep work as she was not allowed to use the oven for obvious reasons. Also, knifes were out so I found a childrens’  spreading knife that had no sharp edges and allowed her to use that which she knew was only for her use. ALWAYS TEACH KITCHEN SAFETY !!
cooking with the kidsThere are many  benefits to cooking with your children ranging from comprehension to math to social development. Cooking can help develop math skills by allowing your children to do the prep work   will naturally learn addition, subtraction and measurements. Cooking builds self confidence and esteem, seeing the finished product being enjoyed by others will give your children a sense of accomplishment and make them feel as if they have contributed to the functioning of the family. Your child will feel more confident in taking care of themselves and others.  Cooking can help your child to tell time, develop  an appreciation for a variety of foods and understand the importance of healthy eating. Another very important lesson that can be passed along to your children is that old gender stereotypes are no longer valid. Its good to let your children see that their father can help out around the house and cook, do you want your daughter to think her role in life is to only serve? Do you want your son to think  a man can’t take care of his family in other ways besides financially?  In todays time of split homes its important to teach your kids to take care of themselves and in the homes that do have both parents more and more both are working it is important to show your children that  home responsibilities should be shared. Most importantly cooking is a great way to learn communication and manners.  Helping each other requires teamwork, politeness and patience.
Cooking with my daughter has provided me with amazing memories that can never be topped. Passing on my knowledge to her is only part of the satisfaction, the time spent together is what really makes it all the worth while. Spend the time talking to your children about their day, their feelings or even just laughing with one and another. In my case its usually the laughter.  Kids enjoy the simplest things in life as long as it is with their parents and cooking is one of the easiest to incorporate into your routine as we all have to eat. It is simple in todays world to just throw a meal together quickly but the reward of just slowing down and taking a few extra minutes will far out weigh the time saved when you see your child development. My daughter still gets a kick out of sitting in front of the oven watching the food bake and I still get tremendous joy from watching her, no matter how stressful or fast paced your day may be its all worth it in the end. My daughter has amazing confidence in herself, whether with me or a sitter she knows she will never have to worry. She takes great pride in the fact that she can go into the kitchen get a drink, make a snack or a sandwich.
Thanks for the memories grandma, I know you would be proud to see the influence you have had !
Safety Tips:
**Again safety is always the most important thing**
1. no knifes
2. stay away from ovens or stove tops
3. stay away from electrical appliances
4. pots and pan handles should face inwards
5. teach about the dangers of raw foods
6. teach the importance of washing hands before, after and during

0 comments:

Post a Comment